Re: [Q] GNu Emacs/MacOS X/Font Encoding

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Q] GNu Emacs/MacOS X/Font Encoding
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 17:20:26 -0400

> [Rolf Marvin Bøe Lindgren]
>
> | [...] I (along, I presume, with all or most Europeans) cannot use
> | Emacs in multibyte mode.  so this _must_ work in unibyte mode.  [...]
>
> [Andrew Choi]
>
> | Why not?
>
> as I mentioned, LaTeX for instance does not understand multibyte
> characeters.  in fact most software does not.  in order to avoid having
> to filter all our files before feeding them to other software, we need
> a GNU Emacs that can read and write Latin 1 properly using unibyte.

Andrew's question was not very direct: we can guess why you think you
need unibyte mode, but any use of Emacs in multibyte mode (i.e. in
its default mode) that "doesn't do what you want" is a bug.

Most people in the latin-1 world use Emacs in multibyte mode
with great success, including using LaTeX.  So you'll need
to show a step by step situation where Emacs fails to do what
it should.  And then we'll either fix the problem or tell
you where you did something wrong.

        Stefan