Re: 4 minor suggestions for files.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: 4 minor suggestions for files.el
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 10:26:12 -0400

> >     I don't think it's wise to make this available through the general undo
> >     mechanism.  For example, vc-merge may also detect conflicts with your
> >     own changes, and you need to resolve them before the merge operation is
> >     actually finished.  How would you undo that?
> >
> > I presume you would resolve them through editing, so I guess you
> > could undo those editing operations.  Would that be unreasonable?
>
> Conflict resolution works by invoking smerge-mode or ediff after the
> merge operation, automatically.  If we follow the undo path, we ought to
> make sure what the interactions will be with these mechanisms.

I don't understand the question: `undo' is a normal editing operation,
just like any other, and smerge also doesn't do anything special about
the way it edits the buffer.  So they just interact in the obvious
and expected way.
The only thing that might be relevant is that if you resolve the last
conflict and turn off smerge-mode, undoing the last change won't
automatically turn smerge-mode back on.  It would be nice to improve
this, but it's really not that important.

        Stefan