Re: [Annoyance] resizing of echo area is too eager

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: [Annoyance] resizing of echo area is too eager
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 22:13:49 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, "Wedler, Christoph" <address@hidden> writes:
>> I guess so.  Perhaps, your Korean font is taller than the
>> frame's default font.  What happens if you evalute this?
>>      (message _SOME_KOREAN_STRING_)

> The same (the echo area is unnecessarily resized).

Is it really unnecessary?  The reason why it is resized is
that Emacs detects that the message doesn't fit in the
height of the normal line.  Perhaps, you font has
unnecessarily big ascent or descent value.

>>  Anyway, I've just changed quail to use `message' for showing
>>  the guidance in CVS HEAD.  So, if you set
>>  resize-mini-windows to nil, the echo area won't be resized.

> Hm, this works if I `setq' that variable before calling `message', but

>    (let ((resize-mini-windows nil)) (message _SOME_KOREAN_STRING_))

> still resizes the echo area.

Yes, because redisplay happens only after the execution of
the above code is finished.

> Any idea how to disable the resizing for
> one `message'?  (A real fix = correct behaviour w/ var-width fonts would
> also be OK.)

I have no idea.

By they way, even with the default value of
resize-mini-windows (grow-only), the behaviour of quail
input method should be improved.  Previously, it resizes the
echo area so frequently, but now it makes the area taller
just once, and keep that hight until you turns the input
method off.  Could you verify it?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden