Re: Strange behaviour with dired and UTF8

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Strange behaviour with dired and UTF8
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 10:41:31 -0400

    For that, we must inhibit to set file-name-coding-system to
    such a coding system that will do many-to-one decoding
    (e.g. iso-2022-jp).  But, we don't have a general mechanism
    to inhibit a symbol to be bound to a specific value.

That's one way to do it.  Another would be to refuse to use such a value
if the symbol does have it.  Another way is to discourage users from
using such coding systems.

    As far as I know, there's no system that allows a coding
    system that does many-to-one decoding for filenames.  So, we
    don't have to care such a case.

It sounds like the third method has already been implemented.  That's
good.