Re: [Suggestion] New function `emacs-version>='

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Suggestion] New function `emacs-version>='
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 15:11:09 -0400

    A "lexical-order extension" of < and > looks like a good idea.  A
    remaining question:

     - will `emacs-version>=' be defined based on that?

If anyone wants it, I guess so.

    Of couse, as I said before, if a feature/fix A could be tested
    *directly*, one should use that test, not some version or
    Emacs-vs-XEmacs test.  E.g.,

      - (featurep 'some-feature)
      - (fbound 'some-function)  ; I only mentioned this in my prev mail
      - (boundp 'some-var)

People have also shown various ways of testing the behavior of a function
to see if a bug has been fixed.  I think those are good approaches.

But I agree with you that testing indirectly related
criteria--criteria that are only indirect ways of testing for a
certain version--is not wise, and that it is better to test the
version number openly than to for the version indirectly.