Re: MML charset tag regression

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: MML charset tag regression
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 01:38:56 -0400

    Recently, many gtk clients start supporting UTF8_STRING
    without making COMPOUND_TEXT support better.  It may cause
    no problem between gtk clients because they will request
    only the type UTF8_STING.  But, it's a too shortsighted
    manner.  :-(

Is this an issue I should raise with the GTK developers?  Could they,
should they, do something to encourage app developers to handle
COMPOUND_TEXT properly?

    Perhaps, we should make Emacs to request UTF8_STRING at
    first if the locale is UTF8, and if that request fails,
    request COMPOUND_TEXT.

If we do this, it should be controlled by a Lisp variable, not by the
locale.  Perhaps the Lisp variable could default based on the locale.

Is there a reason not to do this unconditionally, always?