Re: Cyrillic vs UTF-8

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Cyrillic vs UTF-8
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 00:38:00 -0400

    Unfortunately, the current Emacs doesn't have a facility to
    detect UTF-8 byte sequence.  So, if we put UTF-8 the higher
    priority, all files are detected as UTF-8.  :-(

Is there any easy way to add such detection to the trunk version?
It would not be worth while if it is difficult, but it would be
worth while if it is easy.

    By the way, all these problems are solved in emacs-unicode.

Could you report on what work is needed before we
can release this code?