Re: Incorporating patches into GNU Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Incorporating patches into GNU Emacs
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 13:42:47 -0400

> Here's a specific example from bug.gnu.emacs: A patch from an Emacs user
> who hasn't signed papers. Are you telling me that a) you'll ignore it,
> or b) you'll really go through all the trouble of getting Gustav to sign
> papers in order to use it?

For such trivial changes, we don't need papers.

> p.s. Is there an Emacs Maintainers Manual where all this stuff is neatly
> summarized?

I think that the standards.texi document tries to explain a bit
of it, but I can't remember the details.

Also, in many cases, it's easier to rewrite the thing than to get
the paperwork done.  After all, in most cases writing the code is the
easy part.  And also you generally have a better knowledge of Emacs
so you get to write a better solution (e.g. using with-current-buffer
rather than save-excursion+set-buffer).
Also I'd argue in the specific case that truncate-lines should actually
always be set to t for vc-annotate buffers.

        Stefan