Re: `whitespace-describe' function missing

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: `whitespace-describe' function missing
Date: 14 Apr 2003 17:23:36 +0200

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

>  (whitespace-describe): Remove.  Move the text to `Commentary:'.

IMO, it doesn't really make sense to have a function which produces
the help for a given package, as there sufficient other ways to
provide that information  (BTW printing.el is another package which
does this).

In any case, when the source file has valuable inforation in the
commentary section, there should at least be a Commentary link on the
customization section for whitespace-global-mode; I believe one can be
added to the define-minor-mode as
 :link '(emacs-commentary-link :tag "Commentary" "whitespace.el")
but I haven't tried it.

> Incidentally, while you could re-include your function definition of
> `whitespace-describe' in the CVS, it is surprising to see
> documentation like that.  I would expect to see the full documentation
> in the documentation strings of:
>
>     whitespace-buffer
>     whitespace-region
>     whitespace-cleanup
>
> as well as in the commentary and in the Texinfo documentation.

Maybe we could find a way to make commentary links from doc strings
to the lisp file?  E.g. with an extra button like "See also" ...

| whitespace-global-mode's value is nil
|
| Non-nil if Whitespace-Global mode is enabled.
| See the command `whitespace-global-mode' for a description of this minor-mode.
| Setting this variable directly does not take effect;
| use either M-x customize or the function `whitespace-global-mode'.
+
+ See also _Commentary_