Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 16:36:15 +0000 (UTC)

address@hidden wrote:

    Dragging the thumb to the beginning of the buffer does not require
    precision work.  So it would be nice if it wouldn't require
    precision work for dragging to the end of the buffer, either.

In most of the buffers I use, going to the end does not require
precision work; I just checked!

Precision work may be required if you visit a long buffer, such as the
NEWS buffer, and you are going to a point that is not quite the end.
However, I don't think the scroll bar and thumb should be adapted to
this kind of positioning.

(Note that the scroll bar and thumb work fine for positioning text in
a buffer as short as this *mail* buffer.)

Instead of using the scroll bar and thumb for precision work in a long
buffer, I use the <down> arrow key, which I have bound to:

    (defun scroll-forward-one-line ()
      "Scroll the text up one line.
    A replacement for the three keystroke sequence
    C-u 1 C-v."
      (interactive)
      (scroll-up 1))

  (global-set-key [down] 'scroll-forward-one-line)  ; Down arrow key

and the nearly equivalent `scroll-backward-one-line', which I have
bound to the <up> arrow key.  (Interestingly, the `(scroll-up 1)'
expression does not consider a line consisting of a single, final
newline as the last line of a buffer, but the line before it, which
may also be a single newline.  I never noticed this characteristic
before.)

When I am testing a `plain vanilla' GNU Emacs stated with

    emacs -q --no-site-file --eval '(blink-cursor-mode 0)'

I simply use the necessary three keystroke sequence.

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden