Re: skeleton.el _ versus @

From: Daniel Pfeiffer
Subject: Re: skeleton.el _ versus @
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 08:45:49 +0200

Joe Kelsey <address@hidden> skribis:
> I can imagine that a solution is to have skeleton-insert examine the use
> made of @ and _ ex-post-facto.  I believe that _ should *always* be
> preferred over @ because there is no other use for _ in simple
> insertions, so in a simple insertion, _ should *always* win.  In
> region-insertions, there is a hazy preference for @ winning, but I
> cannot imagine any real preference accruing to what I believe is a
> mis-use of @ to solve something that the original designer of skeletons
> clearly considered an after-thought.

I guess you mean me.  In the original skeleton meta-language, I didn't have
@ at all.  But since it's not something that's usually a variable name in
Emacs, adding it was no problem.

But then going and changing it incompatibly a few years later, breaking
existing skeletons is a behaviour worthy of the Bushs and Saddams of this
world!  At the very least this should be advertised to all those concerned,
and help offered in fixing the skeletons this breaks!

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

-- GPL 3: take the wind out of Palladium's sails! --
 ------
  -- My other stuff here too, sawfish, make.pl...: --
   ------
    -- http://dapfy.bei.t-online.de/ --