Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short

From: Jody Goldberg
Subject: Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:46:46 -0500

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 04:18:22PM -0600, Luc Teirlinck wrote:

> In the presence of tons of invisible text, the native scrollbar
> seems to behave like I would expect it to behave.  That may only be
> because I have strange expectations, but anyway.

Gnumeric has received alot of bug reports on this score.  Some
people like the thumb to indicate the visible rows, others want it
to display the visible region.  We have received complaints both
ways.  My preference is for the visible region to provide some
feedback that there is hidden content.

Other areas of contention in Gnumeric's scroll handling are

1) pixel vs row based.  I tend to prefer the latter, but we have
  received complaints that things behave strangely in the presence
  of wide/tall cols/rows.  So there is no consensus.

2) How to indicate current maxima while still permitting a scroll
  'past the end'.  We've chosen to allow dragging only within the
  current region, but permitting the the arrows to scroll further
  and extending the region.  In this case the choice was a simple,
  MS Excel did it this way, and lots of fingers were used to it.  I
  doubt this behavior scales to other application domains.  A quick
  test indicates that neither MS Word nor oowriter have that sort of
  behavior.  They both appear bottom out at the actual end of the
  document.

3) Updating thumb size while dragging
   That just seems irritating.  If a user selcts the bottom of a
   large thumb at the start of the drag then the thumb shrinks they
   end up in an odd position.