Re: request for a new function, say, `sequence'

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: request for a new function, say, `sequence'
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 08:11:37 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden>
writes:
>>  (defun dev-charseq (from &optional to)
>>    (if (null to) (setq to from))
>>    (mapcar (function (lambda (x) (indian-glyph-char x 'devanagari)))
>>            (devanagari-range from to)))

> But in this example as well a variant of `dotimes' would work just as well
> and would avoid the unnecessary consing.

Modify the resulting list of devanagari-range destructively
will also avoid the unnecessary consing.

> Emacs is not very good at efficiently consing+GCing, so
> it's good to avoid such things when it can be done without
> impacting the readbility (Emacs-21 is dog slow on my
> 266Mhz machine).

Yes, I know.  But the main reason for my proposal is for
readability.  Currently, the above function is used mainly
for defining a data in defvar, so the speed is not that
important.  On the other hand, XXX-util.el (especially the
data definition parts) must be read and modified by native
XXX users who may not be familiar with lisp.  So, it's very
important to provide easy-to-understand data definition
parts.

> Also, all the examples I've seen use lists.  Given my background in
> type-systems, I must say that I don't like functions that returns either
> a list or a vector or a string depending on some extra arg.  If we
> want a function for convenience (rather than performance), then
> returning a list is good enough.  You can always pass the result
> to `string' or to `vector' if you want something else.

As far as I see the current usage, a function returning a
list is enough.  So, I don't insist on having TYPE argument.

> Anyway, blue is the color for my bykeshed, what is yours ?

What is "bykeshed"?  My dictionary doesn't have that word.

> will show you that CL is used all over the place, including in files that
> are pre-loaded (though fewer of them, admittedly).  As long as CL is only
> needed when byte-compiling the file, it's OK (i.e. if it's wrapped in
> `eval-when-compile').  At least that was RMS' official position last time
> this was brought up.

Thank you for clarifying that.  Ok, I'll use
    (eval-when-compile (require 'cl)
in a place that is appropriate.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA