Re: Another question on the W32 port

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Another question on the W32 port
Date: 22 Mar 2003 09:44:03 +0000

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> I was looking at glyph_rect in X and W32, and noticed that they are
> significantly different due to the following change:
>
> 2002-02-18  Jason Rumney  <address@hidden>
>
>       * w32term.c (glyph_rect): Determine the row and glyph more precisely.
>

> Now I wonder why that change was not back-ported to the X version?
>
> Was there a specific W32 problem that was related to this, or can the
> new W32 version be used on X too (modulo the differences in rectangle
> implementation) ?

My memory that far back is sketchy, but I think it may have been to
do with mouse highlighting. There have long been bugs in mouse
highlighting that show up under Windows, but not X, and it has often
confused me when I have found a fix for such bugs and wondered why the
fix was not necessary on X. In such cases I decide to play it safe
and not backport the change to X.