Re: compilation-goto-locus, pop-up-windows, same-window-regexps

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: compilation-goto-locus, pop-up-windows, same-window-regexps
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 18:41:01 -0500

>     If you agree with the general argumentation in my previous mail, then
>     I can go through these places and suggest what to do for each one.
>
> I think that the question of whether to bind pop-up-windows or obey it
> is specific for each instance where this happens.  The reason I made
> compilation-goto-locus bind it was that I thought that for that
> command users would prefer to split the screen, even users who in most
> cases do not.  If that is true, binding pop-up-windows there was a
> good idea.  Otherwise, it was not.
>
> It would be the same kind of question for each other such place.
> The answers might not necessarily be the same.
>
> I think the right solution is to bind pop-up-windows to
> (or pop-up-windows compilation-error-pop-up-windows)
> where compilation-error-pop-up-windows is a new user option.
> That will make everyone happy.  Want to do that?

I think there's a better solution: use special-display-buffer-names.
You can (for example) specify

  (push '("*Compilation*" (same-window . t)) special-display-buffer-names)

to cause (pop-to-buffer "*Compilation*") to prefer reusing the current window.

I think using a system along those lines is much better than introducing
hundreds of foo-bar-pop-up-windows and foo-bar-pop-up-frames.

Of course special-display-buffer-names is intended for
users and should initially be nil.  So we should create a new var like
special-display-defaults.  Also I think there's currently only ways
to say "stay in the same frame" or "stay in the same window" but no ways
to say "use another window" or "use another frame".

        Stefan