Re: Customize Rogue

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Customize Rogue
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 14:43:43 +0100

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 14:40:57 -0500, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> If you don't want to use Customize, I guess you would have no wish
> to redo your variable settings using Customize.

That I don't want to use Customize does not mean I'm not forced to use
it sometimes, or go 'round it.

For example, I have in my .emacs the following:

 (put 'inhibit-startup-echo-area-message 'saved-value t)
 (setq inhibit-startup-echo-area-message (user-login-name))

Yes, I'm misusing `inhibit-startup-echo-area-message'. But I *know* what
I'm doing, and I use the exact same .emacs on several machines. That's
exactly what I want to do.

I've had to take a look into startup.el to know how to subvert the
check; in my view, I shouldn't have to. I should just have to do

(custom-setq inhibit-startup-echo-area-message (user-login-name))

and be done with it.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u