Re: proposed new variable `emacs-lisp-docstring-fill-column'

From: Matt Swift
Subject: Re: proposed new variable `emacs-lisp-docstring-fill-column'
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 15:54:56 -0500

>> "S" == Stefan wrote:

    S> I don't like this change because docstrings shouldn't be
    S> limted to 65 chars.  The doc only says that they should
    S> fit within 80 columns.  Only the first line should be shorter.

Is this an objection to the variable or to the default value?  If the
default value were t instead of 65, default behavior of Emacs would
not change.  Users who do like the feature could enable it with
customization.

I agree the wording below is not a requirement, but it is a
recommendation, and I was looking for a way to heed it while still
filling code and comments to a more practical, wider length.

>From (elisp)Documentation Tips:

   * Format the documentation string so that it fits in an Emacs window
     on an 80-column screen.  It is a good idea for most lines to be no
                              ^^^^^^...
     wider than 60 characters.  The first line should not be wider than
     67 characters or it will look bad in the output of `apropos'.