Re: Build issue GNU Emacs 21.3 on MinGW32 GCC - W2K

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Build issue GNU Emacs 21.3 on MinGW32 GCC - W2K
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 20:51:09 +0200

> From: "Dhruva Krishnamurthy" <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 21:55:30 +0530
>
>  When I do a "gmake bootstrap" (MinGW32 - GCC 3.3/GCC 3.2.1/GCC 3.2.2 on
>  W2K)
> Build fails at the following locations:
> - calendar/lunar.el (EMACS Abort)
> - calendar/solar.el (EMACS Abort)
> - gnus/gnus-cite.el (SEGV crash)
> - gnus/gnus-draft.el (SEGV crash)
> - gnus/gnus-dup.el (SEGV crash)
> - gnus/gnus-mh.el (SEGV crash)
> - gnus/gnus-uu.el (SEGV crash)
> - gnus/gnus-vm.el (SEGV crash)
> - gnus/nnsoup.el (SEGV crash)
> - gnus/nnvirtual.el (SEGV crash)
>
> I am sorry if I have bored some of you with my persistent mails. I fear
> that we may end up loosing MinGW support for compiling GNU Emacs and will
> end up depending on MSVC.

I, for one, appreciate your persistence very much.  However, given
that the resources for working on the Windows port are very scarce at
the moment, how about if you try to debug this yourself?  I'm sure
people here, including myself, will be more than willing to offer help
if you report some findings and ask for further guidance, even though
those same people cannot themselves work on the problem.

> For me a true FSF GNU Emacs is when there is no forced dependency on
> commercial compilers or build tools.

Very true, IMHO.

TIA