Re: setenv -> locale-coding-system cannot handle ASCII?!

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: setenv -> locale-coding-system cannot handle ASCII?!
Date: 25 Feb 2003 15:47:37 +0900

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
> > [I'm confused about what `multibyte-string-p' actually _means_, by the
> > way -- shouldn't it only ever return t if the string contains non-ascii
> > characters?]
>
> Looong ago I proposed the same thing to Richard.  His answer
> was that the multibyteness of a string should follow the
> source of the string.

That would seem to make it almost useless for a lisp programmer...
What is the purpose of using it in a function like `setenv'?

Is it just an efficiency hack?  If so, why not just move the test into
find-coding-systems-string [or whatever function actually does the work
for it] so that ordinary programms don't have to worry about such
sillyness?

-Miles
--
`Cars give people wonderful freedom and increase their opportunities.
 But they also destroy the environment, to an extent so drastic that