Re: Malayalam rendering

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Malayalam rendering
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 16:54:45 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, address@hidden (Ramakrishnan M) writes:
> One issue is that the Malayalam section as it is, now in the Unicode
> standard has problems. There is a set of 5 characters called "Chillaksharam"
> which are not there in the standard. TDIL (some organization in Govt of India
> which does language related work) has proposed some new changes, which
> sort of, solves this issue. So current tools handle "chillaksharams" is their
> own non-standard way. One way is <base char>+<halant>+<ZWJ>. This might be a
> reason you see alot of ZWJ in that text. I may be wrong though...

I see.  Apart from the correctness of that non-standard way,
if the Unicode standard requires that such a sequence should
be rendered correctly, Emacs should support it.  Do you know
what Unicode requires?  Perhaps, supporting ZWNJ is
necessary as well.

Kawabata-san, is it difficult to support ZWJ and ZWNJ?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden