Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 3, Issue 245

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 3, Issue 245
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 21:34:27 +0200

> From: address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 06:50:47 -0500

Simon, allow me a few technical comments about Texinfo usage in your
changes.

> +   The variable @code{smtpmail-smtp-server} controls the hostname of
> + the server to use.  It is a string with an IP address or hostname.  It
> + defaults to the contents of the @code{SMTPSERVER} environment
> + variable, or, if empty, the contents of

I think the SMTPSERVER variable should also be mentioned in the
section where all environment variables used by Emacs are described,
and also there should be a @vindex reference to it.

> + to use both these mechanisms, e.g. to use STARTTLS to achieve

I think you should put a comma after "e.g."; if not, please put a "@:"
after it, so that TeX does not typeset the second period as one that
ends a sentence.

It's better if a URL is inside a @uref, not @samp, I think.

> +   The variable @code{smtpmail-debug-info} controls whether to print
> + the SMTP protocol exchange in the minibuffer, and retain the entire
> + exchange in a buffer @samp{*trace of SMTP session to
> + mail.example.org*}.

Perhaps this would be better:

   The variable @code{smtpmail-debug-info} controls whether to print
 the SMTP protocol exchange in the minibuffer, and retain the entire
 exchange in a buffer @samp{*trace of SMTP session to @var{server}*},
 where @var{server} is the name of the mail server to which you send
 mail.

Since "VERB" is a command, I think it should have the @code markup
(or maybe even @samp).

> +   The variable @code{smtpmail-local-domain} controls the hostname sent
> + in the first EHLO or HELO command sent to the server.

The same with HELO and EHLO here.

> + when sending mail, and the *trace of SMTP session to <somewhere>*
> + buffer

The buffer name should be in @samp, and please use @var{somewhere}
instead of <somewhere>.

Files and directories should have the @file markup, not @samp.