Re: MAIL_USE_FLOCK and Debian.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: MAIL_USE_FLOCK and Debian.
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 14:11:02 -0500

    On a Debian system, the setting of MAIL_USE_FLOCK in s/gnu-linux.h is
    guaranteed to be wrong, so right now, Debian applies the patch below
    and adds -DDEBIAN to CFLAGS in debian/rules.  Of course this fix isn't
    appropriately general because it only works for people using
    debian/rules to build Emacs packages.  So I'd like to figure out what
    the "right" way to fix it would be.  The general rule is that on a
    Debian system, you should only use liblockfile, nothing else.

Would it be correct in all cases to use liblockfile whenever
liblockfile is available?  If so, that would be pretty easy to do.  If
that is not so, can you identify the cases in which liblockfile is
available but should not be used?  If that can't be identified, we are
left with trying to identify the cases where it should be used.

It would be good to identify them at run time.

Once we solve those problems, or decide on how to handle them, we can
easily override MAIL_USE_FLOCK in the cases where liblockfile should
be used.