Re: no font shown with tamil.el

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: no font shown with tamil.el
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 02:54:52 +0000 (UTC)

    Anyway, I'd like to ask you to try the other method too,
    i.e. using *.ttf directly.  ....

Failure.

    This time, you don't need mkfontdir which is a command to
    generate fonts.dir from the directory contents.  Instead,
    put these lines in fonts.dir by yourself in the directory of
    *.ttf, and "xset fp+ ...".

OK, I did that.  I moved the *.ttf files to ../cdac, put the lines
your suggested into a ../cdac/fonts.dir file, and reran the
"xset fp+ ..." and "xset fp rehash" commands.

However, you also ask:

    .... But, before doing that, please remove the directory of CDAC
    PCF fonts from your font path to avoid unnecessary confusion.

I am not sure whether I did right.
My /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file contains the following:

Section "Files"

        # Uncommenting the "unix/:7100" line leads to wider default fonts
        FontPath        "unix/:7100"    # for xfs, but xfs-xtt is newer
        FontPath        "unix/:7101"    # for xfs-xtt -- evidentally, load both

        # If the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/local/share/emacs/fonts/"
        FontPath        "/usr/local/share/emacs/fonts/bdf"
        FontPath        "/usr/local/src/intlfonts/European"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
EndSection

I commented out the

        FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"

line and then started a new X session.

Empty boxes appeared in the HELLO file for Hindi and Tamil.

However, when I put that line back into my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file,
and started another X session again, the Hindi and Tamil glyphs
appeared again.

So my understanding is that I am only seeing the Hindi and Tamil
glyphs because of the *.pcf or *.bdf files in
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/.

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden