Re: Tramp keep-time broken

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Tramp keep-time broken
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 08:52:46 +0100

Lars Hansen <address@hidden> writes:

> `copy-file' does not keep time although KEEP-TIME is t when one copies
> a file from the local computer to a remote one using Emacs Tramp from
> today's CVS.
> When I look into tramp.el it seems that copying is handled by
> tramp-do-copy-or-rename-via-buffer' and that this function does not
> support KEEP-TIME. It seems that `tramp-rcp-program' is not used at
> all!
> Is this true?

It depends on the tramp method that you are using.  There are inline
methods (which transfer the file through the shell connection using
base64 or uu encoding) and there are out-of-band methods (which
invoke an external program such as rcp or scp or rsync to actually
transfer the file).

Should Tramp barf if it is requested to keep the time but can't?

Is there a way to set the mtime of a file that's created by
redirecting a program's stdout to a file?  Maybe some machines have a
"touch" program that can set the mtime to an arbitrary value.
--
A turnip curses Elvis