Re: Bug Emacs 21.3: write-file downcasing

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Bug Emacs 21.3: write-file downcasing
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 18:33:55 +0100

On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 19:16:58 +0200, "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> wrote:

> What am I missing?

Nothing, except that we aren't downcasing the filename, we are
normalizing it :)

What I mean is that:

(with-current-buffer (get-buffer-create "*temp*")
  (let ((name (file-truename "/file1")))
    (insert "data\n")
    (write-file name)
    (string= name (file-truename (buffer-file-name)))))

 => nil

which is weird and potentially a bug: the truename of a file is
different before it exists and afterwards. If you save it before writing
the file, you cannot trust it.

OTOH, I think my e-mail exchange with Jason makes very explicit that I
*don't* know what's the "intuitive, most logical" behaviour in these
corner cases...

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u