bug/feature - emacs doesn't tell you about keys with multiple prefixes

From: Karl Chen
Subject: bug/feature - emacs doesn't tell you about keys with multiple prefixes
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 00:59:01 -0800

With the code below, if you do "C-h k M-b M-a" , Emacs will tell you that
mark-paragraph is on "M-h, M-a, M-b" ; it will not tell you that it is also on
M-b M-a or M-b M-b (even though you just pressed those keys to get to this
screen!). Same goes with the "matched:" message when you type M-x
mark-paragraph (before you hit RET).

Regardless of bad coding style etc I it is useful to have aliases for prefixes
- for example I like using M-v instead of/in addition to C-x v and the easiest
way to do this is to (global-set-key [ (meta v) ] vc-prefix-map). This
confusing behavior of displaying only keys under the first key bound to a
keymap exists in Emacs 21 for the "M-x ... [matched; <keys>]" message and in
Emacs CVS for describe-key as well.

(global-set-key [(meta a)] nil)
(global-set-key [(meta b)] nil)

(global-set-key [(meta a) (meta a)] 'mark-paragraph)
(global-set-key [(meta a) (meta b)] 'mark-paragraph)

(global-set-key [(meta b)] (lookup-key (current-global-map) [(meta a)]))

;; after the previos line, these two lines have no effect on the reverse key
lookups.
(global-set-key [(meta b) (meta a)] 'mark-paragraph)
(global-set-key [(meta b) (meta b)] 'mark-paragraph)

--
Karl Chen / address@hidden