Re: java line termination

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: java line termination
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:23:39 -0500

    Changing gcj here probably wouldn't affect correct execution of the
    code.  I can't think of a situation where it would.  However, it would
    cause us to fail some more tests in Jacks (Jacks is a free software
    test suite for Java compilers).  Though I suppose we could revert to
    java-style line termination with `-pedantic'.

Right.  And this or another option could control how to generate the
line numbers for debugging.  We could make the GNU Java debugger work
consistently with ordinary GNU line numbering, when and if we have a
GNU Java debugger.

    What if Emacs could recognize inconsistent termination and make it
    consistent somehow?

This could conceivably be another kind of EOL conversion, say "Java"
conversion.  It could treat every stray CR, every stray LF, and every
CRLF, as a line end.  That might be a lot of work, but I don't know
for certain.

But this would lose the information about which kind of line
termination was used in each line.  Saving the file would result in
one that had consistent line termination.

If that isn't a problem, this solution might work.