Re: display table for eight-bit-graphic

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: display table for eight-bit-graphic
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 19:04:09 -0500

    > This way, people who don't like MULE and use Emacs in unibyte
    > mode with European character sets get the same behavior as before.

    I don't think so.  See this comment again:

              ;; If default-enable-multibyte-characters is nil,
              ;; we are using single-byte characters,
              ;; so the display table and terminal coding system are irrelevant.

Where is that comment?

              (when default-enable-multibyte-characters
                (set-display-table-and-terminal-coding-system language-name))

    It seesm that the intention is to use the display table for
    multibyte buffers.

It is definitely intended to use the display table for multibyte
buffers--but I think that's not actually the issue you are talking
about.

Anyway, I don't think this actually contradicts anything I said.
The display table is used for unibyte buffers, too.  If we
want unibyte buffers to display the international graphics,
we have to set up the display table for codes 128-255.