Re: display table for eight-bit-graphic

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: display table for eight-bit-graphic
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 10:16:22 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Dave Love <address@hidden> writes:

> I just got reminded about this.  I think the standard display table
> should display eight-bit-graphic characters as octal in multibyte
> mode.  Displaying them as graphics can be misleading.

I agree, and I vaguely remember that we discussed it looong
ago, and people agreed on displaying them as octal.

But, I've just found that standard-display-table is setup
when we start Emacs with any locale of single byte charset
(e.g. iso-8859-1).  It seems that it is done intentionally
by set-locale-environment as below.

          ;; If default-enable-multibyte-characters is nil,
          ;; we are using single-byte characters,
          ;; so the display table and terminal coding system are irrelevant.
          (when default-enable-multibyte-characters
            (set-display-table-and-terminal-coding-system language-name))

I don't know the reason why it does this.  Does anyone
remember that?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden