Re: GTK emacs can't load PNG files for themes

From: Raja R Harinath
Subject: Re: GTK emacs can't load PNG files for themes
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 08:23:58 -0600

Hi,

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> When I configure CVS emacs to use GTK, it doesn't display scrollbars or
> menus correctly:  menu text and background get displayed, but the
> scrollbar thumb and menu highlight box are not displayed.
>
> The reason seems to be that I use a pixmap GTK theme, and it can't load
> the theme's various PNG image files for some reason.  Here's the first
> few stderr messages when I start `LANG=C emacs-gtk -q >& /tmp/,emacs-errs':
>
>    ** (emacs-gtk:17705): WARNING **: Pixbuf theme: Cannot load pixmap file
> /home/soft1/miles/.themes/MooMarble/gtk-2.0/brown_bg1.png: Failed to load
> image '/home/soft1/miles/.themes/MooMarble/gtk-2.0/brown_bg1.png': Fatal
> error in PNG image file: Incompatible libpng version in application and
> library

This is the problem.

[snip]
> I do note, however, that other GTK apps don't seem to use libpng,
> whereas emacs does, so perhaps there's a conflict there.

You'll want to check the PNG library used by emacs and by GTK+
match.  The PNG loader for GTK+ is

  /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.2.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-png.so

on my machine.  GTK+ doesn't dynamically link against libpng, but
dynloads a module that does.  No wonder it wasn't caught by the
linker :-(

- Hari
--
Raja R Harinath ------------------------------ address@hidden