Re: unibyte<->multibyte conversion [Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 2, Issue

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: unibyte<->multibyte conversion [Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 2, Issue 28]
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:38:04 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Kenichi Handa wrote:

>>  > Sorry, I don't think I understand the difference.  What will we have
>>  > in the buffer after process output is converted as you describe in the
>>  > last paragraph above?
>>
>>  Ok, here's an example (Latin-1 lang. env.).

> Thanks for taking time to explain these subtleties.

>>  (1) Reading a process output by raw-text into a multibyte
>>  buffer does AS conversion.  I think this should do TO
>>  conversion to be consistent with (3).

> I tend to agree, but without knowing the exact reason for the current
> behavior, I fear that we will break something.

I don't remeber well now.  :-(

Perhpas, because there was a choise only between
string-as-multibyte and string-make-multibyte, and I thought
string-as-multibyte is less surprising than
string-make-multibyte.  That is because the reason for
specifying raw-text or no-conversion for process should be
that one doesn't want code conversion.  If we use
string-make-multibyte, the result is almost the same as
decoding by, for instance, iso-latin-1.

If we had string-to-multibyte at that time, I might have
used it.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden