Re: emacs test suite?

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: emacs test suite?
Date: 16 Jan 2003 18:28:34 -0500

"Robert Anderson" <address@hidden> writes:

   When I help identify and fix bugs, I like to be able to provide a
   "push-button" test case that demonstrates the problem, and
   prevents regression once the problem has been fixed.

this approach is also useful for new code.

   When I run "make check" for GNU emacs, it tells me there are no
   tests for emacs yet.

   Have there been any initiatives to develop a testing system for
   emacs?

that's what the ftp site is for, no?  (half-smiley.)

i'm in favor of such a system.  for current-column munging (in the presence of
variable-width fonts), i have a local testing setup but it is not generalized.
this could be because testing interactive programs typically requires a driver
program external to the one under test, and that starts stepping into debugger
territory (where programmers' disparate debugging styles is nonregularizable).

however, having said that, perhaps someone could build a system on top of
screen(1), for text mode; and something analogous, for X.

thi