Re: [HELP] (bug?) Saving a buffer without any conversion?

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: [HELP] (bug?) Saving a buffer without any conversion?
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 10:18:21 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> I think we need to write something about this somewhere.

Sure.

> E.g. add this to the doc string for `set-process-filter':

> If the process' input coding system is no-conversion or raw-text, the
> string argument to the filter function is a unibyte string; otherwise
> it is a multibyte string.

More precisely,

If the process' input coding system is no-conversion or raw-text, the
string argument to the filter function is a unibyte string; otherwise
if default-enable-multibyte-characters is nil, the string is
a unibyte string that is converted from a multibyte string
(that is the decoding result) by string-make-unibyte.  In
the other case, the string is a multibyte string.

Could you paraphrase the above into a better English and add
it in the docstring?

> Use `string-as-multibyte' on a unibyte
> string before inserting it in a multibyte buffer.

As Eli wrote, it is better to add something like the above
in the docstring of insert.

> Note: If the sole purpose of the filter is to insert received data
> into a specific buffer, it is better NOT to define a process filter,
> but instead set the process' buffer to that buffer.

I think the above should go to Elisp info, not to the docstring.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden