Close .emacs file after customization?

From: Kevin A. Burton (burtonator)
Subject: Close .emacs file after customization?
Date: 14 Jan 2003 01:31:25 -0800

If the user is running with a fresh Emacs instance (no open buffers), then
customizes a variable, the .emacs file is left as an open buffer.

Why is this?  Is there a reason?

It would seem that we should pollute the buffer list if the .emacs file hasn't
already been opened manually.

This isn't a theoretical problem.  I am trying to run multiple .emacs versions
and I want to maintain the same customization options across Emacs instances.

If I open the .emacs file in one instance, customize it, then do the same in
another instance, they both have an open copy of the buffer and there are race
conditions as to which emacs version should be modifying the file.

Can we just fix customization to close the .emacs file after it modifies it?

Kevin

--
Kevin A. Burton ( address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden )
           AIM - sfburtonator,  Web - http://www.peerfear.org/

Who wants to be responsible?  Every time something goes wrong they say 'who's
responsible for this?'
  -- Jerry Seinfeld