Re: Mule-UCS 0.84 (KOUGETSUDAI) release.

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: Mule-UCS 0.84 (KOUGETSUDAI) release.
Date: 09 Dec 2002 18:57:41 +0000

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm not sure whether Emacs without Mule-UCS can satisfy my needs yet:
> I want to map UTF8 input to the many ETL fonts (which are in various
> encodings) for displaying.

I assumed this was about CJK, but perhaps not.  Anyhow, you can
certainly display the mule-unicode charsets with any fonts you can map
onto them with CCL.  (See `utf-translate-cjk' if the issue really is
CJK in utf-8/16.)

> According to the documentation of unify-8859-on-decoding-mode, it does
> exactly the opposite.

That's really unrelated to display (there was an obsolete comment in
there).  See `utf-fragment-on-decoding' actually to decode into
different charsets (which would need an updated table), or you should
be able to do like ccl-encode-unicode-font in fontset.el but with the
reverse mapping.

> The real problem with Mule-UCS for me is that the configuration of
> this mapping has never worked (besides the fact that it has never been
> documented);

I've certainly configured Mule-UCS (at build time) to change the
precedence of the charsets into which it decodes.  I thought I'd also
changed the font mapping orthogonally, but I don't remember clearly.

> I don't have enough time currently to test Emacs-Unicode which will
> eventually support what I want AFAIK.

I'm not sure quite what you want, or why the internal representation
is relevant.  The fontset mechanism has been changed, but I haven't
finished a user interface for it and I think you don't want to use
that code for real work.