Mac OS X GNU Emacs Installer (make-package)

From: Steven Tamm
Subject: Mac OS X GNU Emacs Installer (make-package)
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 14:23:31 -0800

I just checked in a bunch of changes to the make-package installer. They are reduce the size of the installer and the amount of disk space required. Before the changes the disk image for the installer was 25.6 MB after compression, now it is 16.4MB with no compression. In fact, compression doesn't really reduce the size that much so the script doesn't bother.

By default, it no longer installs the .el files that are precompiled (use --full-dist to bring them back). If you specify the --symlink flag, the Emacs binary inside the Carbon Emacs.app will be a symlink to $prefix/bin/emacs. This makes the Emacs app very small (60K), which is probably a good thing. I also added a flag to create self-contained binaries (where the binary is placed in Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/bin). There were some other changes too, but not really that important. I'd suggest rerunning make-package if you are running out of bandwidth on your site.

For the list: Why does "make install" install two identical copies of the executable; emacs & emacs-21.3.50? Why is emacs not a symbolic link?

-Steven