Re: info invisible changes

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: info invisible changes
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:20:15 +0000 (UTC)

   Does any of the info files provided on, say, a redhat 7.3 system
   include images in the info files (so I have something to test on) ?

The Solfege music program contains @image command in its
`online-docs/C/music-format.texi' file.  I have version 1.4.3, but the
latest version is 1.9.2:

    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/solfege/

    solfege-1.9.2.tar.gz
or
    solfege-1.9.2-1.src.rpm

The download is not quite 400kb.  The @image commands contain only one
argument like this:

    @image{../png/simple}

The images are in PNG format.  They display well in the HTML files in
Galeon.

Unfortunately, I could not build an Info file out of the Texinfo
file; the distribution lacks a .txt file for `makeinfo' to use:

    $ makeinfo music-format.texi
    music-format.texi:33: @image file `../png/simple.txt' (for text)
    unreadable: No such file or directory.

Also, the

    emacs/lispintro/

directory in the current CVS for GNU Emacs 21 contains EPS files for
@image commands in emacs/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi.

The @image commands are within @tex ... @end tex environments.  Plain
text diagrams are included within the Texinfo file for Info, HTML, and
for printers that cannot handle EPS, although nowadays, `makeinfo' can
handle plain-text .txt files.

    @tex
    @image{cons-1}
    @end tex

Again, the @image commands contain only one argument even though
the current @image command can hold up to 4 more arguments:

     @image{FILENAME, [WIDTH], [HEIGHT], [ALTTEXT], [EXTENSION]}

These are the only two Texinfo files that I know about that contain
@image, although I am sure there must be others.  Still, I am not
surprised.  The people writing in Texinfo have been mindful of their
potential audience, and understood that it includes those who work
over very slow connections and those who cannot see.

   >     The alternative text will come from the Texinfo source.  Such text
   >     is already an optional argument to the @image command.

   I agree, but where is that text available in the generated info file?

Initially, perhaps it should follow the image as if it were a
caption.  I think that eventually, a user should be able to toggle
among the three states:  image, alt-text, both

   Emacs already allows image borders, so an Info customization would be
   ok here.

Good!  I never realized that!  That would make a nice option.

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden