Re: Gtk version getting closer

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Gtk version getting closer
Date: 13 Nov 2002 16:55:37 +0100

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

>    On 13 Nov 2002, Miles Bader wrote:
>
>    > The way I use tooltips is to pause over something and wait to see if
>    > something pops up; if nothing does, I just think `oh there's no tooltip
>    > for that.'
>
> That makes sense.
>
> The problem is not with experts, but with people just learning.  Such
> people think that Emacs is broken when they don't see a tooltip.
>
> For example, all the menu items in the `File' and `Edit' menus have

Maybe we could have a "tree-state" customize option here:

- always show tooltips
  (generate a tooltip with the same text as the menu item if
   no explicit tooltip is specified)
- show available tooltips
  (the current functionality - show tooltips is available)
- no tooltips
  (never show tooltips for menu items).