Re: gud.el gdb --cd and libtool

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: gud.el gdb --cd and libtool
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 10:59:49 -0500

> The recent patch below breaks M-x gdb when using it with libtool
> (e.g., M-x gdb RET libtool gdb file RET).  Given the earlier related
> problem with --fullname (solved to my satisfaction now though), it
> seems gud.el should be made a little bit more aware of libtool.  I'm
> not sure exactly what the best solution would be though, but hopefully
> the gud.el maintainers can come up with something.
>
> (The error is that libtool rightly complains that the -cd option isn't
> known.)

Yes, the problem with adding libtool-specific code is that it's not
sufficient.  The same problem shows up in other cases (for example
with PVM) where you can't run gdb directly.

I think any post-processing of the command should be avoided as
much as possible since we don't actually know what the command looks
like and does other than the fact that at some point it should
end up running the specified debugger.
Adding this `cd' command seems not be worth it.  After all, why should
it be the default when GDB is run within Emacs but not when it's
run outside Emacs ?  GUD should concentrate on just interfacing with
GDB and should not try to change GDB's behavior.

        Stefan