Re: server-start under Windows

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: server-start under Windows
Date: 06 Nov 2002 20:02:05 +0000

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

> I only wrote server.el which uses make-network-process.
> You'll need to hack process.c like you did for emacsclient.c to make
> it understand `local' connections (I assume that w32 has unix-domain
> sockets of some sort).

It doesn't, which makes me wonder how much hacking went into
emacsclient.c, or maybe it will also start failing once the server
side is working.

Giving server.el a fallback of opening a TCP socket on localhost is
probably good enough. Unix-like systems will support AF_LOCAL, and
MS-Windows systems do not need to worry so much about multiple users,
so the security implications are mitigated.

I'm not sure that server sockets are stable on MS-Windows, but
getting server.el going will be a good test.