Re: 21.2.90 pretest, 21.3, 21.4...

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: 21.2.90 pretest, 21.3, 21.4...
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 13:31:00 -0500

> We're just on the second pretest of 21.3. I think it's fair to assume
> it'll be still a few months (at least two or three) before 21.3 hits the
> streets.  Even if we feature-freeze 21.4-to-be at this moment and start
> pretesting it like mad, it'll be almost two years since the last
> feature-packed release was introduced to the public.  22.1 with Unicode
> will be much further yet along the way.
[...]

I obviously agree since I called for a feature freeze a few weeks
(months?) back already.  I also think that 21.2 should have been taken
from the trunk rather than from the RC branch and same thing for 21.3.

This way we'd get new features more quickly into release and we'd get
the trunk code tested more thoroughly as well.

As Dave has explained the bug-fix release 21.3 will still be riddled with
bugs that we have fixed on the trunk months ago.  Maybe it will be a bit
more stable from one particular point of view because it doesn't use any
new code that might introduce new bugs, but I'm definitely not convinced
that it outweighs the number of unfixed non-trivial bugs.

        Stefan