Re: VC, read-only buffers for writable files

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: VC, read-only buffers for writable files
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 13:03:36 -0400

>     Sorry that should have been `buffer'.
>
>     >     better that way for the user.  More specifically, it makes it
> read-only
>     >     if the file seems to be locked by another user.
>     >
>     > Under RCS, the file is read-only whenever the file is not locked by you.
>     > I think that is the right way to handle it.
>
> I also meant `buffer'.
>
>     If the file is indeed read-only, then everything works as expected,
>     but the VC code also tries to make the buffer read-only when the file
>     is locked by someone else and yet is writable.
>
> I think that is correct--and useful.  If VC is mistaken, you can use
> C-x C-q to make the buffer writable.

Problem is: it happens very rarely since RCS normally makes sure the file
is not writable by anybody but the true user.  And when it happens it's too
often because VC is confused about the identity of the owner of the lock.
Every few months a user complains about this behavior in VC and it's
difficult to fix.

        Stefan