Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs cvs newbie problems
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 02:18:37 -0400

    Should Texinfo (and Emacs) install into /usr/share/info rather than
/usr/info?

    Until now, the definition of $(infodir) has been $(prefix)/info, but
    I gather we now will prefer $(datadir)/info.

Actually make-stds.texi already says it should be $(datarootdir)/info.
By default, both of them are, /usr/local/share/info.  However,
If we want /usr/share/info, neither $(datadir) nor $(datarootdir)
will get us that.

    Another part of the problem is the plethora of dircategories that are in
    use.  Both the packagers and the maintainers tend to make up a new
    category at the drop of a hat, and this results in the same dir entries
    being repeated over and over again.

Would you like to develop a standard list of dircategory values?