Re: Avoid efficiency issues with user/host name completion in Tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Avoid efficiency issues with user/host name completion in Tramp
Date: 15 Sep 2002 14:50:28 +0200

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> (e) Require the user to type ":" at the end of the filename before
>     invoking completion.  So the user types "/ho:" and then hits TAB
>     and the system completes to "/host:".  This is a funny kind of
>     completion and different from the rest of Emacs.  But with
>     partial-completion-mode it could make some kind of sense.

I don't see the advantage of this alternative. If "/ho: <TAB>" is
expanded to a host name, there's still the problem that parsing the
file containing all host names takes time. And at this stage of
completion I (as user) would expect, that "ho" is already a complete
(method or) host name, and in case of host name it returns all file
names found there.

I guess, that Kai's alternatives a) and b) are promising: Cache the
host names once they are read, and allow to discard expansive
host name configuration files via customisation.

> kai

Best regards, Michael.