Re: Customizing key bindings

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Customizing key bindings
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 13:25:42 -0400

> >> I probably shouldn't say this, but it will be simpler for XEmacs,
> >> where keymaps are an opaque type.
> >
> > Perhaps in theory, but in practice I think that's not true -- there are so
> > many wierd twists in the keymap format that no one in their right mind
> > actually modifies them without using standard keymap functions.  As far as I
> > can see the only real use of the non-opaque keymaps is that it's easy to
> > print them out and see what's in there...
>
> So you can change the format of keymaps, with no fear of breaking user
> code?

Yes and no.  There is code out there that relies on the representation
currently used.  There's actually a fair bit of it.
But all the examples I can think of have no impact on the issue at hand.
I.e. they either "construct a whole keymap at a time" and do things
like (cons 'keymap (mapcar 'foo mylist)) or use nconc in place
of set-keymap-parent or they just parse the keymap for one reason
or another (but without modifying it).

I don't claim that there isn't any other case, but I can't remember
seeing any.  I'd actually be interested in any info about such odd
cases.

        Stefan