Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 14:55:16 +0200

RMS:
   > Do people think we should remove the F2 bindings?  We could provide
   > commands on F2 and F3 that resemble simple text editors.
Kim:
   I don't know what simple editors we need to look like, or whether any of
   the simple editors resembles each other.  I doubt it.

   As an example, M$-Word (which I would image quite a few users are
   using -- like it or not) has the following bindings

Word is not a simple editor, it is a very complex wysiwyg word
processor.  I was referring to simple text editors, like those I used in
the old time of DOS systems on text consoles, and like many are still
around.

Doing a quick survey of the text editors available in Debian, I find
that some use Emacs-like bindings, some (the simplest ones) use only
single control-key commands, some use C-k prefixed commands.  Of the
others (X is X, T is text console):

T fte:      F1 help  F2 save  F3 open                     F9 compile  F10 menu
T hexedit:  F1 save  F2 save  F3 load  F7 copy  F8 paste  F9 mark     F10 menu
T jered:    F1 comm  F2 shell F3 quit  F4 save  F5 find F6 mark       F10 remove
T le:       F1 help  F2 save  F3 load           F5/6 mark F9 compile  F10 menu
T mped:              F2 save  F3 open  F4 close F5 new
T ne:       F1 menu  F2 next  F3 prev  F4 select F5/6 undo/redo       F10 help
T qe:       F1 manu
T sted:     F1 help                                       F9 quit F11 load F12
save
T woody:                                                              F10 menu
T zed:      F1 help  F2 save  F3 load           F5 zoom               F10 menu
T zile:     F1 help  F2 save  F3 load                                 F10 menu
X Kedit:    F1 help           F3 find next
X flimmer:  F1 help  F2 props F4 highlight
X gedit:                            F3 open  F6 find  F7 replace
X ghex:                       F3 open
X gnotepad:                   F3 open
X kate:     F1 help           F3 find next
X scite:    F1 help  F2 n.bkmk F3 find next
X the:      F1 help  F2 nextw F3 save

Apparently, then, traditional textual editors use F2 and F3 for save and
load quite consistently, while modern X-based editors use a different
convention, maybe there are Gnome and Kedit standards for this.

   We already provide things like crisp-mode which binds a lot of keys in
   ways which resembles other editors.  That's a reasonable approach.

Yes.

   But it shouldn't be the default to try to mimic other (inferior :-)
   editors.

Don't know.  Maybe we could provide a series of mappings for the
functions keys.  If we find a mapping that can be thought to be
reasonably standard for simple text editors, we could use that as the
default, and make it possible to switch to other mappings.