Re: INFO on add-ons

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: INFO on add-ons
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 10:08:28 +0900

    David> Would nearly everyone agree that folks who provide/maintain
    David> packages or FSF Emacs add-ons ought to consider it a
    David> professional obligation

_Obligation_?  Not.

Of course good documentation is one of the policy goals of all free
software projects.  But the users who volunteer their time and
intellectual property have the right to set their own priorities.

    David> to provide an Info source covering their software, and that
    David> any installation process ought to support this by merging
    David> these (INSTALL-INFO) with the Emacs Info.Dir?

That's a maintenance nightmare, and often impossible on real OSes
where not everyone is root.  What's wrong with the current (XEmacs
only?) system which automatically generates Dir from the info-path?
All this requires is adding a specially-marked menu description to
each texinfo source.