Re: Several serious problems

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: Several serious problems
Date: 30 Aug 2002 00:15:54 +0100

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

> I think the only "problem" in RC is that latin-N chars cannot
> be saved to utf-8.

In that case, I wasted considerable time...  I know, for instance,
that people whinge that keyboard input doesn't conform to the buffer
file coding system, and that other coding systems &c are needed --
windows-1252 probably most importantly.

> > It doesn't contain latin-iso8859-[23...].
>
> And it's correct as long as ucs-tables is not loaded.

What handa showed isn't correct.  The utf-8 coding system on the RC
branch doesn't encode lao, for instance.

> And since RC is "only bug-fixes"

For some value of `bug fix'...

> it's important that we don't make
> any change outside of ucs-tables.el except for bug-fixes, so
> we can't just change the safe-charsets property.

I don't understand.  Of course you can't just change safe-charsets --
it has to reflect what the coding system actually encodes.

> On the trunk it's easier since we just changed the safe-charsets
> property directly in utf-8.el and made sure that ucs-tables.el
> is loaded when necessary.

Last I looked, it was preloaded.  I don't see why it shouldn't be, and
it would have been designed to be if I hadn't had to write it just as
an add-on initially.