Re: plan for code freeze

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: plan for code freeze
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:37:54 +0200

Karl Eichwalder <address@hidden> writes:

> huug <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> It is realy needed by gnus users who rather read their mail then bitch
>> about it not being PC formatted.
>
> W3 isn't required.  If you are better off using w3m these days.

I'm not sure how to parse the last sentence, but does w3m-el handle
links?

In any case, w3 is used for much more than displaying text mail, it is
also used for parsing data from various web services, both web boards
and google in Gnus.  I have seen other Lisp packages use w3 for
fetching and parsing data from other web services, like dictionaries.

And finally, my old dream was to integrate W3 and customize, so you
can use W3 to write wizards (or "saints") i.e. interactive tutorials
for customizing Emacs, in an extended HTML.  W3 have a few tags for
that purpose, but it only really makes sense if W3 is bundled with
both emacsen.