Re: unencodable-char-position [Re: Several serious problems]

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: unencodable-char-position [Re: Several serious problems]
Date: 15 Aug 2002 18:51:41 +0100

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> I implemented that and tried on several files.  But, it
> seems that such kind of feature is not that helpful.

If I understand what's being talked about, I agree.  Normally the
first problematic character tells me what's up.

> By the way, I've just noticed that Dave has already
> installed the function `unencodable-char-position' in
> mule-cmds.el and used it in select-safe-coding-system.
>
> That function resembles to check-coding-system-region on
> which we are currently discussing.

I'm sorry if that was wrong.  I thought it was supposed to have been
installed months ago, and I was trying to clear out the Mule changes
I've had hanging around after rms was on about it.  I thought that was
all stuff you approved of, or `obviously right'.

> But, as the docstring says, it's slow.

[It seemed fast enough for that use since it's only executed
occasionally, when there's actually a problem.  It was probably
developed on a P133.]

By the way, aborting in select-safe-coding-system can have bad effects
when you're using VC.  As far as I remember, it actually loses your
edits in some circumstance.  I haven't had time to look at the
problem.